We now have a brand new website

This website will no longer be updated.

Please see your new Sussex Health and Care website, for all all the information you need about health and care in Sussex.


To prove your COVID-19 status, you may be required to show your NHS COVID pass to travel abroad, or to attend some events and venues in the UK. Although it is no longer mandatory in England, venues are still entitled to decide their own entry criteria and can ask visitors to show a COVID pass.

Domestic events and venues (England)

  • Under 18s do not have to show proof of their COVID-19 status.
  • If you’re aged 18 or over, you can get a digital NHS COVID Pass for domestic events and venues (if required). You need to be fully vaccinated, or have a negative NHS PCR test or negative lateral flow test within the past 48 hours, or a confirmed medical exemption.


  • If you’re aged 12 and over, you can request a COVID Pass letter for travel.
  • If you’re aged 16 or over, you can get a digital NHS COVID Pass for travel. You need to be fully vaccinated or have had a positive NHS PCR test within the past 6 months.

How to get an NHS COVID pass

There are 3 ways you can get an NHS COVID pass:

  • Use the NHS App, if you are 16 and over and registered with a GP surgery in England.
  • Use the online COVID pass service (you’ll be asked to create an NHS login if you don’t already have one).
  • Request a COVID pass letter. 

COVID pass letters

If you cannot apply digitally using the NHS App or online service, you can ask for an NHS COVID Pass letter to be sent to you by post. You can also apply on behalf of someone else.

There are 2 letters – 1 for travel abroad and 1 for entry to domestic events and venues.

  • To apply for a letter for travel abroad, you need to be aged 12 or over and wait 5 days after you’re fully vaccinated.
  • To apply for a letter for domestic events and venues, you need to be 18 or over and wait 2 weeks after you’re fully vaccinated.
  • The letters are valid for 30 days and you should get them within 7 working days of the date you request them.

You can also ask for a letter by calling 119. Please do not call if you’re travelling in more than 4 weeks’ time.